Sunday 15 February 2009

Back to the murk.


Yes, the snow is disappearing slowly (except from the track). There is fog and mud and we are back to a traditional upland winter.

As I still couldn't take the car up the track yesterday, the dogs and I walked from the farm. It is on a busy road but after 15 minutes there is the choice of open moorland with walks across to Wuthering Heights countryside or sheltered paths by streams and rivers, farmland and woodland. Yesterday we did the latter and ended up walking for four hours. So today we can take it easy.

The Archers are on. I listen intermittently, obviously more interested in the farming bits than the tussles of conscience on religious matters. I priced my pig rearing against Tom Archer's and his came out cheaper. How did he manage that? I didn't over-feed them because there was just the right amount of fat. Must be economies of scale.

I also watched Jimmy on pigs. I was a member of Compassion in World Farming for a long time, years back (I'm always supporting some cause or other) and knew then I couldn't support any form of intensive farming. Here are happy pigs (above picture).


No comments:

Post a Comment