Saturday 2 May 2009

A spot of weeding needed!





Look what happens after a few warm days and a few April showers.

Gardeners beware of the thriving growth on your lovely veg patch. I aim to weed every second day at least in this weather or else your seedlings are lost in a field of green. You can see on the left hand picture that I don't aim for a spotless bed, I just don't have the time. I hoe between the rows and handpick around the seedlings. These are perpetual spinach beet, an easy to grow crop that if left will self-seed. And you need those Popeye muscles that spinach is supposed to help you develop when you live at Sandalfarm.

OH and the neighbour have been digging in the sheep field, making new drains and finding old ones, so as to divert the water away from the drive. The drive is a long, unmade up track which has 6 cars/vans from residents and of course the usual traffic from post, deliveries, collections etc. But it is the water from the leaking drains that render it impassable in icy weather and deeply rutted in any weayher.

I have been entertained by my neighbours' small boys who have been "helping"me to build a stone wall between their land and the cow field. For about 2 hours or more they have lugged stones, broken stone for in-fill and fought amongst themselves. They will need their spinach tonight as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment