Monday 1 June 2009

Buttercup Days

Have you noticed the sea of buttercups in every farmer's field? Last time there were this many was in 2003, the year we were trying to buy Sandal Farm. It didn't happen and we missed the warmest, sunniest summer since 1976. So, keep fingers crossed. I don't know of any "old wives' tale" that could confirm this, but why shouldn't I start my own.
It is too hot though. I am still suffering from the sunburn from Thursday/Friday and although it is blazing hot outside, here I am, indoors wishing there was a little more shade up here. I am dressed up from hat to shoes, preparing for another hour of sweaty strimming. Those buttercups have to go I am afraid!
Talking of shade, I have been in and paid for our 5 acre wood. The contracts are signed but I expect it will take a couple of days for the cheques to clear...and then we will be woodlanders as well as farmers. We will be escaping to the wood on windy days, during westerly rainfalls and on blazing hot days (and school holidays when the kids next door are at home day after day).

No comments:

Post a Comment