Saturday 20 June 2009

First crop from the wood.


On Friday we went to the wood and spent five hours there. One of my jobs was to collect some of the ripe strawberries. They are wild, obviously, and the photo shows them next to my care keys...so that little picking fitted into the palm of my hand!
Still, they are very sweet and there are 1000s of plants so hopefully there will be more to come.
The jobs were divided according to tools. OH had the loppers so pruned dead and diseased branches for 5 hours. I had a spade so started to make steps up the side of the valley. It is very steep and although there is one twisting path, it doesn't actually have a start on the valley floor so a finish on the top.
After 2 hours I gave my back a rest and went to the clearing to pick the strawberries, then got stuck into clearing the brambles from this site. There is a thicket of them at the top in the sun and will provide a good crop of blackberries later on.
Then I collected piles of wood and made piles while circumnavigating the site taking out ragwort.
The dogs careered around until I tied them up with a pig's trotter each. That kept them quiet.
More of a feast than out strawberries will provide!!

No comments:

Post a Comment