Friday 10 April 2009

And then there was one...


One lamb as sadly one died. The ewes can't count so I think twin lamb was left out in the cold wind for too long. He hadn't been mauled. It's a hard life. People ask why I don't bring them in but these sheep are very nervous and do not like to be in a closed space. While some breeds adapt to life in a pen, these do not. There is a shelter in the field but it is hardly ever used, and of course there are the walls and rushes which they do use.

Two more ewes to lamb and although it is damp today (Good Friday), it is very mild. Betty is all bagged up and ready to drop so I am keeping my eye on her.

The rain is needed for all the seeds I've put in. I have done the second sowing. I am still waiting two weeks until I put my potatoes in though. No rush up here!

No sign of a calf, even though Cloud had a show about 2 weeks ago. Our imprecise farming methods are cheap and animal friendly but a little haphazard!

Here's a picture of Cloud with her calf from 2 years ago, who is still with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment