Wednesday 22 April 2009

What a difference a week makes!


I have been up north during the week of sunshine and no rain!. I have returned to a JUNGLE!
My beautiful seed bed, in the old pig pen, has sprouted millions of tiny seedlings...weeds of course. There are brussel sprouts and a few spinach beet seeds and one pea as well.
So in a blitz this morning, I planted up some of my veg in pots in the greenhouse. Peas, runner beans, sunflowers, courgettes, leeks! The greenhouse seeds of broad beans and lettuce are doing well and there is no use planting up parsnips. Lets hope this will whizz them on a bit.
Also because the soil is so warm, I have put in my potatoes. I have used Marfona for the last 2 years with great success. So in they go again. The last of them from last year was used just a week ago!! So they also store well.
I cleared a raised bed ready for the parsnips, the 3 rd row.
I weeded the decorative beds for 2 hours.
I strimmed the front "lawn" and the worst of the long grass around the chicken run and "orchard". The speech marks are because the lawn is just a patch of green moss with lots of weeds in (see pic) and the orchard is 3 unproductive (no edible apples have yet been produced) apple trees, bent with the wind and knarled even though they are only 4 years old.
However...the place is alive with unfurling leaves and primroses, daffodils, grape hyacinths, pansies and the seeds of the self sown annuals. It looks nice.
Next post...the sad news.

No comments:

Post a Comment