Sunday 5 April 2009

An Away Day


Every now and then I take a Sunday off to walk with my walking club. It is based in Huddersfield (as that is where I used to live) but someone will usually pick me up if the planned walk is in the Yorkshire Dales.

Today I left the dogs and spent the day tramping the hills on the opposite side of the valley from Ilkley Moor. The route was beautiful, starting and ending by the River Wharfe near Bolton Abbey, the company was the usual mix of sane and mildly eccentric walkers with a young couple whom I'd not met before and the weather was sunny. What more could I want.

Shame I have no photos, I am very bad at bothering with carrying a camera but any Yorkshire tourist site will direct you to the beautiful countryside that West and North Yorkshire have to offer.
There were lambs being born as we walked past but other ewes are still hanging on to theirs. The Shetlands are huge with their tiny bodies up to twice the girth, so it must be soon. I wish for good weather for the few days after birth so although rain is forecast this week, it is also going to be mild. So watch this space...

The picture shows where our ewes give birth. This was my first ever lamb, four years ago now.

No comments:

Post a Comment